Pride Therapy Network of Montreal Seeks New Members, Fall 2019
We are a growing network of mental health providers offering LGBTQ+ affirmative low-fee therapy. We are currently seeking new members for our network! If you are passionate about providing financially accessible LGBTQ+ affirmative services and are available to join us for our trainings on Saturday, September 21st, Saturday, October 5th, and Saturday, October 19th, then please continue reading to find out more about joining us! We are looking for members with different levels of experience working with diverse LGBTQ+* populations, and different levels of clinical experience (hoping to include interns who are able to practice through their own supervisors, recent graduates, and people who have been working for many years).
Please read the information below and get in touch with us by August 20th, 2019 if you are interested!
What do you get by becoming a member?
- 3 full days of training on providing culturally competent LGBTQ+ affirmative therapy, 1.5 hours of which are OPQ accredited!
- 2 days of training are offered by the Institut National de Sante Publique Quebec and is the only accredited training on gender and sexuality in Quebec
- Monthly case presentations/peer supervisions
- Access to consult with a network of experienced LGBTQ+ affirmative therapists
- The opportunity to contribute to the development of a network dedicated to the provision of culturally informed, accessible, and affirmative services to members of sexual and gender diverse communities
More about us:
The Pride Therapy Network of Montreal (PTNM) is a collective of independent mental health practitioners who have come together in order to offer culturally informed, accessible, and affirmative services to members of sexual and gender diverse communities. We work to counter the discrimination of sexual and gender diverse individuals who have been stigmatized and mistreated in mental health care systems. As such, all members of our network agree to offer financially accessible services and strive to accommodate other accessibility requests. We are committed to ongoing training and education with the team and within the greater community. All collective members participate in yearly fall training in addition to ongoing trainings. Additionally, through regular group supervision, we support one another by sharing ideas and resources.
The Pride Therapy Network operates with the principles of LGBTQ+ affirmative practice and according to the guidelines recommended by the American Psychological Association found here and here. To this end, we ask that:
- Members take responsibility to educate themselves about LGBTQ+ affirmative practices
- Members understand the effects of discrimination, stigma, homophobia and transphobia may have on psychological wellbeing.
- Members understand the needs of LGBTQ+ people at all life stages and support individuals in their sexual and gender identity exploration.
- Members recognize the unique challenges faced by trans people.
- Members recognize that issues our clients bring may have little to do with their sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Members reflect on their own and their clients’ sources of comfort and discomfort with differences and commonalities that exist between themselves and clients with respect to race, ethnicity, culture, nationality, age, gender, gender identity/expression, religion, socioeconomic status, political views, sexual orientation, geographic region, physical capacity, physical, mental, or developmental disability, and historical experiences with the dominant culture.
2019 Fall Training Details
2019 Training Dates: Saturday September 21, Saturday October 5, and Saturday, October 19
- Training will take place over three days; all PTNM new and returning members are required to attend all three days of training. Although the trainings are suitable for people who have little to no experience with LGBTQ+ populations, it is our practice that all members, new and old and with or without experience, participate in trainings as it allows us to learn from each other, build team relationships, and work towards shared understandings of the principles of our group.
- Saturday September 21st, 9am-5pm: Gender and Sexual Orientation: Understanding Diversity, training by the INSPQ
- Saturday, October 5th, 9am-5pm: Adapting Therapeutic Interventions to the Realities of People of Sexual Diversity: Their Couple and Their Family, training by the INSPQ
- Saturday, October 19th, 10am-5pm: Kink/Poly, Power/Oppression, Affirmative Therapy and Introduction the Pride Therapy Network of Montreal, training by the Pride Therapy Network of Montreal
- All existing members and new applicants are asked to pay a yearly membership fee of $50-75 in order to register for training.
- In joining the network, all members also agree to additional membership requirements including:
- Accepting a minimum of one low-fee client from the PTNM’s waiting list
- Attending monthly meetings, on the third Wednesday of each month, 7:30-9:30pm (dates below)
- Presenting a minimum of one case per year in peer supervision
- Training is recognized by the OPQ (and other orders) for 1.5 hours of continuing education.
- Training will be held at Concordia University, in a wheelchair accessible space. More details forthcoming and please let us know if you have any accessibility concerns.
- Positions in the PTNM are limited; please apply by August 20, 2019 to be considered for membership.
Questions can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will reach out to ask for annual membership fees ($50-75) at the end of August, 2019
Pride Therapy Network of Montreal meeting dates:
Wednesday, November 20th, 2019 – 7:30-9:30pm
Wednesday, December 18th, 2019 – 7:30-9:30pm
Wednesday, January 15, 2020 – 7:30-9:30pm
Wednesday, February 19th, 2020 – 7:30-9:30pm
Wednesday, March 18th, 2020 – 7:30-9:30pm
Wednesday, April 15th, 2020 – 7:30-9:30pm
Wednesday, May 20th, 2020 – 7:30-9:30pm
Wednesday, June 17th, 2020 – 7:30-9:30pm
Wednesday, July 15th, 2020 – 7:30-9:30pm
Wednesday, August 19th, 2020 – 7:30-9:30pm